Google Sitelinks Triggers?

I taken on some new SEO efforts for three websites, and have two other sites that were built specifically for SEO within the last few months that I will begin working on soon.  Getting Google Sitelinks for each of these sites has always been a line item on my goal list.

Let me apply a disclaimer here: Although Sitelinks are on my SEO tasklist, Sitelinks do not affect your rankings in the search engines.  I am including it with my SEO efforts due to an assumption based on these givens:
1. Sitelinks are generated according to a Google algorithm when your site is spidered.
2. Google evaluates websites according to their perceived relevance to consumers.
3. SEO is all about showing the spiders how your site is relevant, and what keywords it is relevant for.
 So IMO, it's only natural to assume that a well SEO'd site has an increased chance of being rewarded with Google Sitelinks. That aside, I wanted them for the added access, usability and convenience for web visitors, and because Sitelinks make your listing stand out from all of the other results on the SERP.

So when I came in the office this past Tuesday and saw that Google had generated Sitelinks for one of my domains, I was thrilled... and perplexed  The site that is the newest domain and least optimized website for SEO within this current effort.  And the question that came to mind is this: Why does the Google algorithm to apply Sitelinks to some domains and not to others?

Cristian Mezei has compiled an excellent list of potential Google Sitelink triggers at SEOPedia.org about his testing methods and hypothesis on what does and does not affect Google Sitelinks for a domain.  Google only provides a bare bones description at How can I see links to my site?  (I can't imagine anyone answering "yes" to the 'was this information helpful' question.) 

Overall, there's little out there other than theories about Google Sitelinks.  But there's a little hope.  In a blog posting called Information about Sitelinks, Google says
Our process for generating Sitelinks is completely automated. We show them when we think they'll be most useful to searchers, saving them time from hunting through web pages to find the information they are looking for. Over time, we may look for ways to incorporate input from webmasters too.

IMO, it's time.

0 comments

Recent Marketing IMO Posts

Recent Comments

Recommended Money Makers